13 December 2005

Laughter Lives On!!! Thanks Mr.Pryor!!!

This past Saturday, Richard Pryor died at the age of 65. He will be missed.

When I heard this, I couldn't help but think back on my first taste of Richard Pryor's comedy. I was 13 and when my parents were at work, I'd sneak into my dad's closet, way in the back at the top and I'd pull out Richard Pryor's "WANTED" LP. I'd listen to it all the time and laugh my ass off. Throwing a brick at Jim Brown... Monkeys making love in the trees... It was all so funny to me. I loved it!

Richard Pryor's style of humor, his "tell it like it is" look at society, race relations, love, sex, being black, being white, being human - was so special. He put it all out there for everyone to see. If you preferred a less edgey approach to your comedy, you still had Bill Cosby, Rich Little and those guys. But if you were willing to let the walls be painted blue, then Richard Pryor was for you. If imitation is the best form of flattery, then guys like, Sam Kinnison, Andrew 'Dice' Clay, Bernie Mac, Chris Rock, Eddie Griffin, Cedric the Entertainer and countless others flattered him and acknowledged him as the true Master of comedy.

Richard Pryor - the man is gone, but his comedic legacy will live on for ever.

Thanks for the laughs Mr. Pryor, I'll always cherish my sneaks to the back of my dad's closet!!!

TTBM

No comments: