07 March 2006

Throwing the NIGGA out!

Very little gets me angrier than black folks calling each other - Niggas!

I'm really going to have a hard time putting all my thoughts in this one blog, so expect to see this title over and over again.

THIS MORNING...
Sitting on the subway on the way to work. These three young black kids, boys around 16 or so got on and sat near me, talking loud, being rowdy and laughing.

I have long come to accept the fact that [sadly] because the nuclear black family is a dying establishment, many young black kids don't get the love and attention that they need to develop into socially well rounded individuals. Sadly, because daddy wasn't man enough to stick around after mommy got knocked up, and mommy wasn't smart enough to close her legs after daddy left - many inner city black kids grow up in single parent homes with 3 or 4 little illegitimate siblings. With mommy trying to make ends meet between getting her GED, collecting her welfare and working extra shifts off the books at the fast food joint down the street - a large number of these kids just don't get the hugs and kisses and time and attention that a nuclear family can provide. These kids have the deck stacked against them from the moment they come out of the womb.

So, when I see this kind of behavior, I tend to accept it as a hidden cry for the attention they never got at home.

Then it started...


"What was that nigga's name that plays for Roosevelt?"
"That nigga had some moves..."
"Yeah, I saw that nigga around my cousin's way."
"I played that nigga! He got some phat game!"
"Naw, nigga I ain't scared of him!"


Eventually my head started spinning and all I heard was...

Blah blah blah NIGGA blah blah NIGGA blah blah blah blah NIGGA...

Now, sometimes what I have done when this happens is I shoot a look at the one who says it, admittedly this doesn't work often, in fact I think it makes it some of them work harder at saying it more. But, once every blue moon the kid gets the message and calms down. On a few occasions, several of the offensive little bastards have gotten off the train leaving one or two of their friends and I've sometimes pulled them aside with a calming tone and said, "Young brothers, I couldn't help but overhear you and your friends throwing the nigga out..." and I follow it up with a brief bit of positive insight as to why they should refrain from that word and that kind of behavior. I haven't gotten cursed out or shot or stabbed yet, so I guess that's a good thing.

But, today it was just so overwhelming. The word nigga was raining down all over me and all over the train. I wanted to say something to these young assholes, but I know if I said what I was thinking, the way I was thinking it, I wouldn't be THE THINKING BLACK MAN, I would have been THE FIST-FIGHTING BLACK MAN!

It absolutely devastates me to think of the tens and hundreds of thousands of black across this country that still thinks its okay to call each other nigga. These foolish asses stick to the lame rationale of "I'd better not hear a white person say it..." like that is a reasonable justification. I have actually heard someone say, "Oh, we blacks don't say NIGGER , we say NIGGAH. The AH is like the AHHHHHHH sound you make over a warm cup of chocolate. It gives the word NIGGA a newer and warmer feeling." I ACTUALLY HEARD SOMEONE SAY THAT!!! I damn near passed out trying to restrain myself from choking the living shit out of them.

But that is what we have in our community. Dumb assed black kids who have never been told that they have worth, and that they should respect themselves and each other. And who, in turn, embrace centuries of racial stereotypes and the suffering it has caused and refer to each other by the white slavemasters evil name for their forefathers. And they are reinforced by the quasi intellectual, self deprecating, neo-ebonites that feel it's okay to call each other, "My Nigga!"

That is some straight bullshit!

It fills my heart with anger, hatred and shame! When will these lost souls open their eyes and realize - We are our own worst enemy!

TTBM

No comments: